My friend was afraid once he discovered his files were missing from his memory card and shortcut virus was infected which creates shortcut folders in his memory card whenever he connects his mobile with personal computer. He thought the files were already gone along with virus attack or were accidentally deleted.
After I did some analysis, I discovered the files area unit still there however a virus had changed the file properties to ‘Hidden’ and hidden all files within the memory card.Viruses / malware have hidden all the folder in USB drive / Pen Drive/ Memory card.
Although i attempted to “Show Hidden Files” however the virus doesn’t permit to look at them. Luckily, I’m being sensible with this stuff and located guides on a way to overcome this problem and unhide files and folders in memory card.
Show hidden folder trick
- Insert the Pen Drive or memory card to an empty USB slot. note the drive letter. For an example, G:.
- Press Windows + R, and type “cmd“. Ok.
- Enter this command,
attrib -s -h -r G:/*.* /s /d
- Note: G:/ in above command denotes drive path,change this according to your need.
- Press Enter and await the command to execute.
- Open the Pen Drive or memory card and you must see the files that were hidden by the virus. You’ve done.
- Note: In some cases virus will create shortcut folder with similar name and once we clicked , it will open those hidden folders.These shortcut folders will be of size 1 to 2KB each and these shortcuts should be deleted at final step.
Let’s discuss what this command is actually doing. attrib command is used to add or remove file or folder attributes. It include read-only, system, hidden ,archive files etc. to add an attribute, we’ll need to use a and (+) sign and to get rid of an attribute minus (-) sign is employed. you’ll see within the above command that we tend to are removing certain attributes.
Give below are the attributes that will be processed and removed. Here’s the detailed explanation:
- -r will remove the read-only attribute of the required file.
- -a will remove the archive attribute of the required file.
- -s will remove the system attribute of the required file.
- -h will remove the hidden attribute of the required file.
*.* implies that any file with any extension are processed with this command. thus all the files within the directory wherever this command runs the files/folder are unhidden and will become read-write. you’ll be able to edit and delete the files.
Shortcut Virus Fix:
- run del H:*.lnk from command prompt , where H: is drive path of memory card or pendrive, you can the drive path change according to your system.
- Use USB Disk Security – to scan and delete shortcut virus ( also delete suspecius detection manually scan and delete)